2012 Garden City murder recounted on cable TV program

Jordan Marie Shaver
Jordan Marie Shaver

EDITOR’S NOTE: This story was originally published Feb. 11, 2016. The TV episode “Death of Youth,” which is part of the series “A Stranger in My Home,” can still be watched at the Investigation Discovery website with your TV subscription info.

The Investigation Discovery channel will air a program Friday night looking at the gruesome October 2012 murder of Brian Geddes.

The program, “Death of Youth,” will air at 8 p.m. and again at 11 p.m. on Dish channel 192, DirecTV channel 285 and CableOne channel 112. It’s the season opener for the series “A Stranger in my Home.”

A team from CMJ Productions from Montreal came to Boise last summer to shoot footage and talk with Geddes family members, Garden City police officers and other witnesses. Statesman reporter John Sowell also appears in the episode.

Jordan Marie Shaver, now 25, shot Geddes in the back of the head, wrapped the body in a comforter and hid it beneath his home in the 5100 block of West Elaynea Lane, next to the Greenbelt.

Geddes was last seen alive on Oct. 16, 2012. Garden City police believed the 49-year-old used car dealer was killed two weeks before his body was found Nov. 2, 2012.

Ada County prosecutors said Geddes met Shaver after she was attacked by her boyfriend and Geddes came to her aid. He later allowed her to stay at his home after she told him she had nowhere to go.

Court records showed that Shaver was evicted from an Ada County apartment less than three months before Geddes was killed.

Shaver continued to live at Geddes’ home and told neighbors and others who stopped by that Geddes had gone to Nevada on a trip to celebrate his birthday. Meanwhile, she held a series of parties at the home.

Geddes’ adult children, Brennan Geddes and Aubray Geddes, got suspicious when they hadn’t heard from their father. They confronted Shaver after finding her in their dad’s home; they told police she ran off.

Police later located Shaver outside a Wal-Mart store. She was found with Geddes’ cell phone in her possession.

Shaver told police she accidentally shot Geddes when he fixed her handgun and it discharged while he handed it back to her, according to court records. But an autopsy showed that the gunshot to the back of Geddes’ head came from a gun that was pressed against his head.

Shaver pleaded guilty in December 2013 to second-degree murder. She was sentenced the following April to life in prison. She won’t be eligible for parole until at least 2032.

John Sowell: 208-377-6423, @IDS_Sowell

Related stories from Idaho Statesman