Business

Micron donated to Trump’s new White House ballroom. What we know

Micron has donated to President Donald Trump’s new ballroom, according to a list of donors provided by the White House.

The list does not say how much Micron donated to the $300 million project, which Trump has maintained will be paid for by private donations and not by taxpayers. Micron did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

The Boise-based company was among over a dozen major U.S. corporations to donate to the ballroom, including industry leaders in some of the most powerful and prominent sectors of the American economy, such as Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, HP, Meta, T-Mobile, Caterpillar, Palantir Technologies and Lockheed Martin.

The East Wing of the White House, which stood for 123 years, was fully demolished by Thursday to make room for the ballroom, the New York Times reported.

Micron is counting on the federal government for more than $6.1 billion in federal subsidies that the Biden administration awarded to help pay for the company’s new chip-making plants in Boise and upstate New York. Trump has previously criticized the subsidies as wasteful. The funds were authorized by the CHIPS Act, which was passed by Congress in 2022.

Trump called the legislation “a horrible, horrible thing” in an address to Congress in March. “We give hundreds of billions of dollars and it doesn’t mean a thing,” Trump said. “They take our money and don’t spend it.”

But Trump has said little about the subsidies since.

Micron President and CEO Sanjay Mehrotra said during an earnings call in September that the company received a CHIPS Act grant disbursement in its latest fiscal quarter after completing a “key construction milestone” at its manufacturing plant well under construction off of Interstate 84 in Southeast Boise.

Construction of Micron’s new $15 billion fab plant continues in Boise with money made possible through the CHIPS and Science Act by Congress in 2022. Wednesday, March 5, 2025.
Construction of Micron’s new $15 billion fab plant continues in Boise with money made possible through the CHIPS and Science Act by Congress in 2022. Wednesday, March 5, 2025. Darin Oswald doswald@idahostatesman.com
Read Next
Read Next

This story was originally published October 24, 2025 at 12:41 PM.

Angela Palermo
Idaho Statesman
Angela Palermo covers business and public health for the Idaho Statesman. She grew up in Hagerman and graduated from the University of Idaho, where she studied journalism and business. Angela previously covered education for the Lewiston Tribune and Moscow-Pullman Daily News.  Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER