Capital (5A), Caldwell (4A) and Fruitland (3A) earned District Three’s final three berths to boys high school basketball state tournaments by winning play-in games Saturday. The Eagles beat defending 5A champion Post Falls 70-52, the Cougars knocked off Sandpoint 44-40, and Fruitland defeated Timberlake 72-54.
Six eight-team brackets will begin play at 1:15 p.m. Thursday throughout the Treasure Valley. The local participants and locations:
- 5A (Ford Idaho Center, Nampa): Borah (21-2), Capital (14-12), Centennial (20-4), Mountain View (14-10), Rocky Mountain (17-6)
- 4A (Borah High, Boise): Bishop Kelly (14-5), Caldwell (14-12), Middleton (10-13)
- 3A (Meridian High): Emmett (14-9), Fruitland (15-11), Parma (13-11)
- 2A (Capital High, Boise): Melba (18-4), Nampa Christian (15-8)
- 1A Division I (Vallivue High, Caldwell): Ambrose (22-2), Liberty Charter (15-9)
- 1A Division II (Caldwell High): Council (20-3)