The NCAA Division I Board of Directors scrapped a proposed ban on satellite camps Thursday, rebuffing a request from power conferences in the South and clearing the way for coaches to hold clinics away from campuses this summer.
The decision won’t end the debate that centered on whether the camps are just another recruiting tool: The board also asked the Division I Council to conduct a broad assessment of the entire college football recruiting model in coming months.
The council approved a ban this month prohibiting coaches from holding or working at camps and clinics away from their schools. The camps had drawn a high profile after Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh held camps in the South last summer.
The SEC and ACC sponsored the proposal that created the ban, but there was an outcry from coaches who contend satellite camps provide opportunities for un-recruited athletes to be noticed by high-profile coaches and possibly receive scholarships.
Coach Bryan Harsin said Boise State will now go through with camps this summer in Texas, California, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
“We’re excited that we will once again have the opportunity to get our coaches in front of kids that may not have had the opportunity to see what Boise State football is about. More than half of last year’s signing class came through one of our camps, and we’re excited to be able to continue what we had been doing,’’ Harsin said.
“The goal is still the same — to get as many kids on campus to see what we are about and what Boise State has to offer. But this presents more opportunity for us to be around kids, and for them to be around us.”