Idaho State Police thank man for helping subdue suspect (Watch the chase, crash)

Jason Henley received a plaque from Idaho State Police, honoring him for helping take into custody a fleeing suspect who had crashed into a Boise police car and then led police on a chase on Interstate 84, according to a Jan. 22 Wilmington (Ohio) News Journal report.

Henley and his wife, Dorothy, were traveling east on Interstate 84 on April 9, 2015, when a blue pickup truck passed them at a high speed. At the time, Henley commented to his wife, “I think he’s running from the cops,” according to the News Journal report. Soon after, an Idaho State Police car passed the Henleys.

Near milepost 84 in Elmore County, Henley came upon the crashed truck and noticed an ISP trooper and a man struggling in the median.

Henley stopped to help the trooper. He and another motorist held down the suspect while ISP Trooper Kenny Walker handcuffed him.

Henley, a Marine veteran, told the Wilmington News Journal helping out the trooper was, “the right thing to do.”

“Hands-down, the police officers are the heroes. They’re the ones out there every day, keeping us safe, doing the right thing,” said Henley, who lives in Clinton County, Ohio.

Idaho State Police asked the Ohio State Highway Patrol to present Henley the plaque on its behalf. Henley received the plaque on Jan. 21.

According to a Boise police news release issued at the time of the incident, a Boise police officer suffered a leg injury after his patrol car was rammed by the driver of the pickup truck during a traffic stop near Chinden Boulevard and Veterans Memorial Parkway.

Officers from Boise and other agencies located and pursued the pickup truck, but the driver refused to stop and reached speeds of more than 70 mph through Downtown Boise onto Vista, West Rose Hill, South Curtis and on to eastbound I-84. Idaho State Police continued following the pickup truck down the freeway until it crashed. The truck’s driver was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

The driver, Jose Manuel Sanchez, 32, was charged with three felonies: battery of an officer, fleeing police and possession of methamphetamine. Sanchez pleaded guilty to the charges and in December he was sentenced to 15 years in prison.