The explosion that seriously injured two men in a North Nampa trailer late Wednesday night was apparently caused by accidental ignition of a flammable gas used in illegal drug processing, Nampa Police Capt. Curt Shankel said Friday.
One possibility, Shankel said, is that butane was being used to intensify the THC content of marijuana by converting it to a "wax" or oil. The two men were working in a bathroom, with "obviously no ventilation in a small confined space," he said, and something caused a spark.
The two men remain in a Utah burn unit, but information about their condition and injuries was not available Friday. Their names have not been released, and no charges have been filed, pending further investigation.
The explosion happened at 11:42 p.m. Wednesday in a trailer park in the 500 block of Clarence Street off Garrity Boulevard, Nampa Fire Marshal Phil Roberts said. Other residents who were in the trailer at the time were not injured, he said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Asked if THC wax or oil is a common drug in this area, Shankel said "we see it from time to time. ... maybe more now than in the past.”
"It's an easy process to make, and it takes a smaller dose to get the high," Shankel said.