Canyon sheriff’s officials say suicidal suspect fired 10 times during workplace standoff

Jens Randall Davis
Jens Randall Davis

A 57-year-old man fired a gun repeatedly at SWAT team members during an all-day standoff at his Caldwell job site Wednesday, but no one was injured, according to the Canyon County Sheriff’s Office.

Jens Randall Davis, of Payette, was taken into custody by the SWAT team just before 6 p.m., more than nine hours after the incident started. Police used multiple tactics to apprehend Davis, including a Taser, gas and impact rounds, which are less lethal than regular bullets.

Davis told officers that he wanted them to shoot him and wanted to hurt himself, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Davis was treated at a local hospital before being booked into the Canyon County jail on charges of felon in possession of a firearm, grand theft by possession and aggravated assault on law enforcement. He was scheduled to be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. Thursday at the Canyon County Courthouse.

The pistol Davis had was reported stolen out of Nyssa, Oregon. It was fired about 10 times through doors and walls during the standoff, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Davis has a long criminal history. He was convicted on a 1992 rape charge and is a registered sex offender. His convictions from the early 2000s included domestic assault, aggravated assault, stalking and failure to register as a sex offender.

He was incarcerated from November 1992 to January 2000, February 2006 to December 2009 and April 2011 to November 2016, according to an Idaho Department of Correction spokesman.

Police were called to Forterra Structural Precast on Simplot Boulevard at about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. They said a man had come to work with a pistol and was behaving strangely.

Employees at the concrete plant evacuated as police tried to apprehend Davis. Their attempts to subdue him with a Taser were unsuccessful, and Davis fled deeper into the building.

At about 9:30 a.m., sheriff’s SWAT and negotiations teams were deployed to the scene. Attempts to communicate with Davis were unsuccessful, officials said.

Authorities heard gunshots inside the building at about 11 a.m. They could hear Davis after the shots.

Just before 2 p.m., they deployed pepper gas into the building. Davis responded by firing at a closed door and wall of the building. He left the building for a short time, and then ignored commands not to go back into the building, sheriff’s officials said.

The Caldwell Police Tactical team brought its armored vehicle to the scene. At 4:15 p.m., the team breached the doors of the building.

Davis left the building, gun in hand, and then went back in. Police released more pepper gas into the building, and he continued to tell police to shoot him, sheriff’s officials said.

Just after 5 p.m., Davis was shot by impact rounds. But he did not drop his pistol until about 45 minutes later. That’s when he was taken into custody by deputies, who said he fought through the arrest.

Katy Moeller: 208-377-6413, @KatyMoeller