Canyon County

Elderly Nampa couple found dead, apparently from carbon monoxide

The cause of death has not officially been determined for an 88-year-old man and 90-year-old woman in Nampa, but a news release from the city said the couple died "due to an item being left running in the home."

It's unclear what that item was. The city also did not immediately release the names of the man and woman, who were found dead in a home on the 500 block of W. Cornwall Dr., because authorities were still working to identify family members.

Members of the Nampa Fire Department discovered the deaths Thursday afternoon after receiving a report of a possible accidental death. When they arrived at the scene, they discovered "high levels of carbon monoxide in the residence and deemed it was not safe to enter. Once the Fire Department ventilated the residence, officers were able to conduct an investigation," according to the news release.

"There were no signs of foul play or suspicious circumstances. It appears this was an unfortunate accident and a cause of death will be officially determined by the coroners’ office," the news release read. "The Nampa Police Department would like to stress the importance of carbon monoxide sensors in homes. Tragedies like this could possibly be avoided with the use of the sensors."

  Comments