Boise & Garden City

Update: Fire at Boise Bench business caused by cigarette

What happens when you call 911? Use these tips for better emergency response

Do you know what to do if you accidentally dial 911? Do you know what information is crucial in an emergency? Here's what you need to know in North Texas to get the police, fire or ambulance service you need fast.
Up Next
Do you know what to do if you accidentally dial 911? Do you know what information is crucial in an emergency? Here's what you need to know in North Texas to get the police, fire or ambulance service you need fast.

Boise masonry fire 2.jpeg
Boise firefighters were called to a fire at a masonry business on the Bench Monday night. Boise Fire Department

An improperly disposed cigarette was the cause of a fire that heavily damaged the storage building for a masonry business on the Boise Bench on Monday night, a Boise Fire Department spokeswoman told the Statesman on Tuesday.

The fire was reported at about 6:30 p.m. Orchard Street was shut down between Fairview Avenue and Irving Street for a couple of hours while firefighters worked on the blaze.

A fire department spokeswoman declined to disclose whether the cigarette was tossed away by an employee or a passer-by.

The fire appeared to be at a building associated with the Masonry Center Inc., 1424 N. Orchard St., next door to Idaho Camera & Adventure. There was heavy fire in the building when firefighters arrived, and responding to the scene were six engines, two trucks and two battalion chiefs, according to BFD.

“The additional crews were brought in so we could rotate crews often due to the high temperatures outside,” the department said on Twitter on Monday night.

Boise masonry fire.jpeg
A fire broke out at a masonry business on Orchard Street on the Boise Bench Monday night. Katy Moeller kmoeller@idahostatesman.com

  Comments