It’s the busiest time of the year for mail services, and that means you may want to think ahead if you’re hoping your holiday cards or gifts will get to their destinations on time. Here are the final deadlines for the U.S. Postal Service, UPS, FedEx and more if you want your items delivered by Christmas Eve:
U.S. Postal Service deadlines:
- Dec. 14, USPS Retail Ground: Formerly known as Parcel Post and Standard Post, this option is for “less-than-urgent deliveries and oversized packages,” according to the Postal Service. Rates start at $6.65.
- Dec. 19, First Class Mail: USPS touts this as its “best priced service for mail up to 13 oz.” It’s not ideal for heavy packages, however. Expect your items to arrive in 1 to 3 days.
- Dec. 20, Priority Mail: Need just one more day? Priority Mail is a 1-to-3 day domestic mailing option that’s ideal for packages up to 70 pounds.
- Dec. 22, Priority Mail Express: This domestic shipping option includes an overnight guarantee and delivers 7 days a week, USPS says. Prices are a bit steep, starting at $23.75.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
- Dec. 15, FedEx Ground
- Dec.19, FedEx Express Saver: Saturday, Dec. 23, delivery is not available for FedEx Express Saver.
- Dec. 20, FedEx 2Day A.M. and 2Day: Saturday, Dec. 23, delivery is not available for FedEx 2Day A.M. You may ship FedEx 2Day shipments on Dec. 21 for delivery on Dec. 23 if Saturday delivery is selected. A $16 Saturday delivery fee will apply per package
- Dec. 21, FedEx First OverNight, Priority Overnight and Standard Overnight: You may ship FedEx First Overnight and FedEx Priority Overnight shipments on Dec. 22 for delivery on Dec. 23 if Saturday delivery is selected. A $16 Saturday delivery fee will apply per package. Saturday, Dec. 23, delivery is not available for FedEx Standard Overnight.
Learn more here.
- Dec. 18, UPS 3 Day Select: Packages sent through 3 Day Select will be delivered Friday, Dec. 22. Packages sent later than Dec. 18 will arrive after Christmas Day.
- Dec. 20, UPS 2nd Day Air: Packages will be delivered Friday, Dec. 22. Packages sent via 2nd Day Air on Dec. 21 can be delivered Saturday, Dec. 23, if marked for Saturday Delivery, which is not available in all ZIP codes.
- Dec. 22, UPS Next Day Air: Packages will be processed with Saturday Delivery; note that this isn’t available for all ZIP codes.
- Dec. 24, UPS Express Critical: Got a package that just needs to be delivered? UPS Critical is available every day — even on Christmas Day.
Find more information here.
Additionally, Dealhack.com has compiled a list of shipping deadlines for major retailers, including Amazon, Walmart and Target.