Nobody was injured in a duplex fire on the 9200 block of West Austin Street in Garden City Wednesday night, according to Boise Fire Department spokesperson Tammy Barry.
The occupants had put out a small kitchen fire earlier in the day Wednesday, but called 911 when they heard crackling in the attic around 11:04 p.m., Barry said.
The kitchen fire had flared up and spread into the attic. Firefighters quelled the blaze, but the kitchen will need “extensive repairs,” Barry said.
The cause was ruled as an accidental grease fire, she said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The occupants were offered support from the Burn Out fund, but they declined.
Barry said that residents who put out their own fires should still call the fire department to assess the incident. At times, sparks can linger even after the apparent fire is out, and those sparks can reignite a blaze. But, residents can call the fire department at no cost to evaluate the burn to make sure there’s no further threat of fire, Barry said.