When Meridian firefighters arrived at the scene of a fire in the 1100 block of Rolling Hills Drive on Monday, they found three structures on fire: a house, garage and hay barn. The fire was reported just before noon.
They were able to clear the home and get the fire knocked down in all three structures within 21 minutes, according a press release from Fire Chief Mark Niemeyer.
No one was injured in the fire, and two cats were rescued from the home.
“A lot of challenges today operationally with this fire,” Battalion Chief Tyler Rountree said in the release. “Our firefighters performed very well considering everything that was going on at the scene.”
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Summer heat made a tough situation even harder.
“In this heat, work cycles need to be closely monitored to prevent heat exhaustion,” Niemeyer said. “This requires us to put more resources on scene than normal operations. “
Investigators are trying to determine exactly where the fire started, but they believe it began outside the house and spread up to the attic, city of Meridian spokeswoman Kaycee Emery told the Statesman. Meridian fire investigators are being assisted by the Idaho State Fire Marshal’s Office.
The house is heavily damaged and not habitable, Emery said. Crews were able to salvage some valuables from the home.
Residents of the home are being assisted by the Meridian Fire Department Burnout Fund, and members of the American Red Cross and Trauma Intervention Program were notified.
Meridian Fire received mutual aid from Boise Fire and Kuna Fire. Ada County Paramedics and Ada County sheriff’s deputies were also at the scene. There were 22 people on the fire and the following resources: three engines, one ladder truck, one water tender, one ambulance, one incident commander, three support staff and two safety officers.
Shortly after the Rolling Hills Drive fire was reported, a structure fire in the 12500 block of West Explorer Drive was reported in northwest Boise. That turned out to be relatively minor: smoke from an HVAC motor, according to Boise Fire spokeswoman Char Jackson.
Katy Moeller: 208-377-6790