‘Give it one more sip’: Savoring sour beer with Barbarian Brewing of Boise
Sixteen Idaho breweries hauled in 27 medals over the weekend at the 22nd annual North American Beer Awards in Idaho Falls.
Boise-area breweries led the pack. Barbarian Brewing of Garden City won three gold medals, followed by 10 Barrel Brewing of Boise's two golds and one silver, and The Ram's two golds and one bronze.
Held in conjunction with the Mountain Brewers Beer Fest at Sandy Downs Race Track in Idaho Falls, NABA is a major, well-respected event. This year's judging included 1,712 beers from 251 breweries around the country, according to assistant competition coordinator Chris VanHorn. Judges go through blind tasting sessions and match beers to style guidelines.
As a state, Oregon ruled NABA. Barley Brown's Beer of Baker City won 10 medals alone. Washington earned the second-most medals followed by Idaho, according to data crunched by Northwest beer website The New School Beer.
Below is the list of Gem State winners. Here’s the full list of NABA winners.
▪ 10 Barrel Brewing, Boise: Gold — All American Brown Ale (American-Style Brown Ale); Gold — P2P (American-Style Stout), Silver — Cynical (Cascadian Style Dark Ale American Black Ale)
▪ Barbarian Brewing, Garden City: Gold — The Dirk (Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy); Gold — Sea of Green (Barrel-Aged Sour or Brett Beer); Gold — Juniper Gose (Flavored Gose)
▪ Bella Brewing, Garden City: Gold — Righteous Red Rye (Rye Beer)
▪ Boise Brewing: Gold — Jagged Shard (Double Imperial Red Ale); Bronze — Snowboarder Porter (English-Style Brown Ale)
▪ Edge Brewing Co., Boise: Silver — Pug Face Porter (Brown Porter); Silver — Hipster Dufus (Berliner-Style Weisse)
▪ Idaho Brewing Co., Idaho Falls: Gold — Idaho Black Lager (Schwarzbier/Black Beer); Silver — Bad Badger (Strong Bitter ESB/Extra Special
▪ Mad Swede Brewing Co., Boise: Silver — Naked Sunbather (American-Style Brown Ale)
▪ MickDuff’s Brewing Co., Sandpoint: Bronze — Knot Tree Porter (Robust Porter)
▪ Mother Earth Brew Co., Nampa: Bronze — Louie Lake Lager (American-Style Pilsner or Hoppy Lager)
▪ Payette Brewing Co., Boise: Silver — High Side American Wheat Ale (American-Style Hefeweizen)
▪ Portneuf Valley Brewing, Pocatello: Bronze — Machismo Oatmeal Stout (Oatmeal Stout)
▪ Ram Restaurant & Brewery, Boise: Gold — Disorder Porter (Brown Porter); Gold — Oktoberfest (Marzen-Oktoberfest Lager); Bronze — Clearwater Kolsch (Kolsch)
▪ Salmon River Brewery, McCall: Gold — Blonde Sabbath (Belgian-Style Pale Ale)
▪ Sockeye Brewing, Boise: Silver — Sockeye Maibock (Traditional Bock, Eisbock); Bronze — Old Devil's Tooth (American-Style Barley Wine)
▪ Wildlife Brewing, Victor: Bronze — Go Big Golden (Light Ale)
▪ Woodland Empire Ale Craft, Boise: Silver — Barrel Fiend Club Blackberry (Lambic, Fruit Lambic and Gueuze Lambic); Silver — Chapter Two (English-Style Barley Wine)