Still, some local beer drinkers temporarily will go Rogue — and drink Oregon beer. Newport-based Rogue Ales plans to invade the Treasure Valley April 10-14 for five days of festivities.
Big Al Jorgensen, president of “Rogue Nation,” will roll into the Gem State in the brewery’s RV Force One. Hitting the road for a Rogue Nation tour is a biannual tradition for Big Al, although he hasn’t made an official Boise stop since 2015.
Whaddaya think, proud Idahoan? Is it blasphemous in April if you step out for a Rogue brewskie? Will suggesting as much essentially make you a dead man — er, Dead Guy?
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Tough call. Maybe Big Al will set an example by drinking a few Idaho beers with us in an act of interstate diplomacy.
Monday, April 10
▪ Rogue Nation Night from 6 to 8 p.m. at Twisted Timber, 4563 S. Cloverdale Road, Boise: Enjoy six Rogue beers on tap including Cold Brew Nitro, plus oysters. Big Al will attend.
Tuesday, April 11
▪ Rogue stouts and sweets sampling from 6 to 8 p.m. at PreFunk, 1214 1st St. South, Nampa: Try Rogue stouts paired with desserts, including Guru Donuts.
▪ Rogue beer tasting from 6 to 8 p.m. at Brewers Haven, 1311 12th Ave. Road, Nampa: Sample five Rogue beers.
Wednesday, April 12
▪ Rogue Hop Experience (and Honey Kolsch) from 6 to 8 p.m. at Bier:Thirty, 3073 S. Bown Way, Boise. Taste all five Rogue Farms-grown IPAs, plus the recently released Honey Kolsch, voted Best in Show and Best General Ale in the National Honey Board’s annual beer competition.
▪ Rogue beer tasting from 6 to 8 p.m. at Brewers Haven, 1795 S. Vista Ave., Boise. Sample Rogue beers.
Thursday, April 13
▪ Rogue beer tasting from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Boise Co-op, 888 W. Fort St., Boise: In-store sampling.
▪ Rogue Tiki Thursday party from 6 to 8 p.m. at PreFunk, 1100 W. Front St., Boise. Wear tiki clothing. And if you don’t own any? They’ll have a huge box of tiki shirts to give away to needy partyers. Rogue Ales will be on tap, including new releases Paradise Pucker (sour with passion fruit, orange and guava) and Cold Brew IPA Nitro (Stumptown Cold Brew Coffee, IPA and Nitro). Check out Rogue’s new canned beer, listen to local duo Red Light Challenge, and chow down with B-Town Bistro food truck, which will serve Hawaiian cuisine.
Friday, April 14
▪ Rogue beer tap invasion from 5 to 8 p.m. at Whole Foods River Room, 401 S. Broadway Ave., Boise. Six Rogue beers will be on draft.
▪ Rogue beer tasting from 4 to 6 p.m. at Fast Eddy’s, Overland and Locust, Boise. Sample beers, fill up a growler.
▪ Rogue Nation Night from 6 to 8 p.m. at Growler Guys, 2020 E. Overland Road, Meridian. Five Rogue beers will be on tap. Big Al will attend.
New head brewer at Grand Teton
In his place, Grand Teton promoted Max Shafer to brewmaster. Shafer, already Grand Teton’s cellar master, joined the brewery in 2012. Grand Teton is one of Idaho’s largest breweries.
“I wish Rob all the best in his new endeavor and cannot thank him enough for the years of mentorship,” Shafer says. “... I have big shoes to fill, literally and figuratively; Rob’s feet are way bigger than mine.”
• • •