All good goblins and ghosts should be out partying this weekend. Here’s a look at what’s happening around the Treasure Valley.
AT THE BARS
▪ The Amsterdam cocktail and wine bar, 609 W. Main St., Boise, will serve up an appetizer buffet until 9 p.m., DJs will spin tunes and you can enter the “Hollywood Gone Wrong” costume contest for a $1,000 prize. Tickets are $20 at SeizeTheDeal and the door. Doors open at 5 p.m. Oct. 31.
▪ Party at Oblivion Productions’ Masquerade Ball at Liquid Lounge, 405 S. 8th St., Boise on Oct. 31. The night will groove along with DJ Hiss and DJ Inferno, plus Boise band Satyr Co. and Portland’s Particle Son. You’ll find costume contests with cash prizes, drink specials and more. $10 cover. LiquidBoise.com.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Boise rockers Pilot Error will play a haunted party at Reef, 105 S. 6th St., Boise. There will be costume contests, prizes and more starting at 10 p.m. Oct. 31. $10.
▪ “Haunted Hannah’s Howl-O-Ween Nights” gives you two nights of fun Halloween partying at Hannah’s, 621 Main St., Boise. On Oct. 30, the apocalyptic Zombie Prom will take over the place with zombie bowling, sugar skull and costume contests starting at 7 p.m. No cover. Then Oct. 31, it’s the Exotic Erotica Ball at 7 p.m. with costume contests — see if you can out-do Hannah’s costume diva Rocci Johnson. $5 cover. You can walk the blood-red carpet, enjoy drink specials, win prizes and rock to the Rocci Johnson Band both nights. HumpinHannahs.com.
▪ China Blue and Dirty Little Roddy’s at 6th and Main streets will go all “American Horror Story” on you, with costume contests, creepy decor, drink specials and giveaways. There’s a $1,000 cash prize for first prize and $800 bar tab for second. The $20 cover gets you into both spots. Doors open at 8 p.m. Oct. 31 BoisesBestBars.com.
▪ Get some “Jollification” 8 p.m. Oct. 31 at Fatty’s Bar, 800 W. Idaho St., Boise, with cash prizes for costume contests, drink specials and tunes. Get there before 10 p.m., and admission is free. DrinkFattysBoise.com.
▪ You can “Eat, Drink and be Scary” at Helina Marie’s Wine Bar, 11053 W. State St. in Star. The evening features food, dancing and a costume contest with prizes from 8 to 11:30 p.m. Oct. 31. Bring your chili to enter the contest and win gift cards. $10. HelinaMaries.com Reservations suggested: 286-7960.
▪ “Night of the Living Dead” is not so much scary as rockin’. Local musicians Bernie Reilly, Sean Hatton, Jon Engelund and others will celebrate the legacy of the Grateful Dead at 9 p.m. Oct. 31 at the Visual Arts Collective, 3638 Osage St., Garden City. Dress as your favorite Dead member for the costume contest. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 at Brown Paper Tickets. VisualArtsCollective.com.
▪ Check out “Freaky Fest 2015” at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 30 with EDM artists Pegboard Nerds, Cookie Monsta and others at the Revolution Center, 4983 N. Glenwood St., Garden City. Tickets run $20 to $45 at Ticketfly.
▪ Dance the night away at 8 p.m. Oct. 31 with The Fabulous Chancellors at the fourth annual Halloween Ball at the Riverside Hotel, 2900 W. Chinden Blvd., Garden City. Tickets are $10 at the door. Room packages are available at 343-1871.
▪ Get your chills puppet-style with HomeGrown Theatre’s fourth annual “Horrific Puppet Affair,” a puppet cabaret of short, creepy tales by local playwrights. It’s at 8 p.m. Oct. 30 and 31 at Woodland Empire Ale Craft, 1114 W. Front St., Boise. $10 the door; 21 and older only.
▪ Party two ways at the Old Idaho Penitentiary’s Frightened Felons. On Oct. 30, bring the kids for an alcohol-free celebration. On Oct. 31, it’s adults only with beer and wine. The fun goes from 7 to 11 p.m. both nights. Check out the haunted cell block, see Thrill the World perform the “Thriller” dance, play games and dine on food-truck fare. Family night: $12 for kids and $15 for adults. Adult night: $15 at Brown Paper Tickets. 2445 Old Penitentiary Road, Boise. History.Idaho.gov. 334-2844.
▪ You’ll find hundreds of little ghosts and goblins at Boo at the Zoo, the annual Halloween party with the animals. There are costume contests for every age throughout the day, bounce houses, games, face painting and trick-or-treating from costumed characters from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 31 (last admission at 4:30 p.m.) at Zoo Boise, 355 Julia Davis Drive, free with regular admission fees. ZooBoise.org. 608-7760.
▪ The Nampa Recreation Center, 131 Constitution Way, will offer bushels of seasonal fun at both its Halloween Costume Contest and The Great Pumpkin Hunt from 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 31. Prizes include rec center passes, toys, sporting equipment and candy. It’s $5 general, $4 members for one event, $6 and $5 for both events. NampaParksAndRecreation.org. 468-5858.
▪ Dress up your dog and head to Storey Bark Park, 430 E. Watertower Lane in Meridian, for the “Howl-O-Woof Pooch Parade and Costume Contest,” from 11 a.m. to noon on Oct. 31. Enter the costume contests for best dog/owner combo, best group costume, scariest, funniest, most creative dog and the grand prize. 489-0531. Free. MeridianCity.org.
Check 10 Days Out for information about pumpkin patches, haunted attractions and more.