The Tuesday evening blaze, which displaced 14 people, started in the kitchen of a bottom-floor apartment and damaged all four units, Boise Fire Department spokeswoman Tammy Barry said.
All of the occupants got out of the building in the 2900 West Davis Street safely, Barry said. Residents sifted through the debris Wednesday, picking up items that weren’t consumed by the fire.
"It's kind of like a bomb went off,” resident Reuben Gutierrez told KIVI-TV, Channel 6. “There's fire damage everywhere. It's pretty bad damage in there."
Gutierrez had lived in the complex for seven years with his wife and father-in law. The Boise Fire Department's Burnout Fund is putting the residents up in hotels for now, and Gutierrez is searching for a new permanent home, KIVI reports.
Never miss a local story.
Coworkers set up a GoFund Me page for the Gutierrez family that had raised $1,200 by 8 p.m. Wednesday evening.