Don’t mess with the fish.
Much like last year, Sockeye Brewing dominated the list of Boise-area breweries picking up bling at last weekend’s 21st North American Beer Awards. Sockeye picked up six awards, including two Gold Medals. The competition, held in conjuction with the Mountain Brewers Beer Fest at Sandy Point in Idaho Falls, involved six double-blind tasting sessions. In the days leading up to the June 6 brew festival — which attracted a crowd of 6,500 — judges graded beers based on set style guidelines.
Congratulations to the Treasure Valley breweries who entered and earned awards:
• 10 Barrel Brewing Co.: All American Brown, Bronze, American-Style Brown Ale; Cynical, Bronze, Cascadian Style Dark Ale
• Boise Brewing: Black Cliffs, Bronze, American-Style Stout
• Edge Brewing Co.: Badunk-a-Monk, Silver, Tripel; Edge Porter, Bronze, Brown Porter
• Payette Brewing Co.: Fly Line, Silver, Cream Ale
• PostModern Brewers: Postmodern Baltic Porter, Silver, Baltic-Style Porter
• Ram Restaurant and Brewery: Lost Reinder, Silver, American-Style Strong Ale; Owyhee Oktoberfest, Bronze, Marzen-Oktoberfest Lager
• Slanted Rock Brewing Company: After Midnight Imperial Stout, Silver, Imperial Stout
• Sockeye Brewing: Gin Barrel Aged Dagger Falls IPA, Gold, Barrel-Aged Beer; Bourbon Barrel Aged Seven Devil’s Imperial Stout, Gold; Barrel-Aged Strong Beer; Hells Canyon Helles (aka Lonesome Larry Lager), Silver, Helles Lager; Selway Schwarz, Silver, Schwarzbier (Black Beer), CoCo Peak Milk Stout, Silver, Sweet Stout; Maibock, Bronze, Traditional Bock
• Woodland Empire Ale Craft: Cozy Up, Gold, Sweet Stout