Five 5A Southern Idaho Conference teams have punched their tickets to the playoffs: Rocky Mountain, Capital, Timberline, Mountain View and Eagle. And Bishop Kelly has already clinched the 4A SIC title. But plenty is still up in the air on the final day of the regular season. Here’s a breakdown:
5A SIC POD A
• Beat Capital and it’s the pod champion and gets a bye in the first round of the playoffs.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Lose to Capital and it’s second in the pod.
• Beat Rocky Mountain and it’s the pod champion.
• Lose to Rocky Mountain and it’s second in the pod.
• The Lions are locked into fourth in the pod standings and will have to compete for the at-large berth whether it beats Nampa or not. If Borah, Timberline and Capital finish 3-2 in the pod, the Lions lose out on a three-way tiebreaker because they lost to Boise (Capital and Timberline didn’t).
5A SIC POD B
• Beat Eagle and it’s the pod champion and gets a bye into the quarterfinals.
• Lose to Eagle and it’s second in the pod.
• Beat Mountain View and it’s the pod champion.
• Lose to Mountain View and it’s second in the pod.
• Beat Vallivue and it takes the pod’s third automatic playoff berth.
• Lose to Vallivue and it’s eliminated. Its record keeps it from competing for the at-large berth.
• Beat Meridian and it’s guaranteed a playoff spot as the pod’s third-place team.
• Lose to Meridian and it’s eliminated. Its record keeps it from competing for the at-large berth.
5A AT-LARGE BERTH
The 12th and final bid for the 5A playoffs comes down to a tiebreaker between the two fourth-place pod teams from Boise, the third-place team from northern Idaho and the fourth-place team from eastern Idaho.
The team with the best winning percentage against opponents in the largest classification of their state — Idaho’s 5A, Washington’s 4A, Oregon’s 6A, etc. — claims the at-large berth.
Borah, which is 3-3 (.500) against large-school opponents entering Friday, holds the inside track on the at-large berth. But results in eastern Idaho could knock the Lions out.
If Hillcrest upsets Madison on Friday and Skyline beats Idaho Falls on Saturday, Borah is out no matter its result Friday. If Hillcrest upsets Madison and Idaho Falls knocks off Skyline, Borah must win Friday to get in.
• The Knights have already secured the conference title and a playoff bye.
• Beat Kuna and it’s the second-place team.
• Lose to Kuna and it’s the third-place team.
• Beat Middleton and it’s the second-place team.
• Lose to Middleton and it’s the third-place team.
• Guaranteed fourth place in the league, the Hawks are already locked into competing for the 4A at-large berth with the fourth-place team from Twin Falls. The tiebreaker will come down to a MaxPreps.com power ranking, which won’t be updated until Sunday.
Skyview enters the week No. 12 in the computer ranking.
No. 13 Canyon Ridge clinches fourth place in Twin Falls with a victory over Burley. A Canyon Ridge loss and a Jerome victory vaults No. 17 Jerome into fourth.