One of the Boise State football team’s “silent” commits finally spoke out.
Defensive back De’Andre Pierce committed to the Broncos in September but never confirmed that until Monday, when he changed his Twitter profile to reflect his committed status.
He considered the commitment something between himself and the coaches. On Monday, he decided it was time to “represent.”
“So I just put it up there,” he said. “I didn’t want to announce anything because I’ve been committed.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Idaho Statesman
Pierce was a two-year starter at safety at Long Beach Poly, where the secondary was loaded with Division I talent throughout his career. He played a nickel/dime role as a sophomore.
Boise State recruited him as a cornerback but he hopes to prove that he can play safety, too.
He chose Boise State over Colorado State, Nevada, San Jose State, Navy and Army, he said. He attracted the Broncos’ attention at a summer camp.
“From June up until my commitment, it was constant communication between me and the coaching staff,” he said. “I wanted Boise State just as badly as they wanted me. It was a mutual connection.”
Boise State is believed to have two other silent commits, based on coach Bryan Harsin’s “Go Broncos!” tweets when he receives a commitment.
2016 RECRUITING CLASS
– QB Micah Wilson, 6-3, 205, Lincoln Christian School (Tulsa, Okla.)
– DL Chase Hatada, 6-3, 260, Rocklin (Calif.) High
– CB Robert Lewis, 5-10, 170, Augustus Hawkins High (Los Angeles)
– OL Kole Bailey, 6-5, 285, Twin Falls High
– RB Robert Mahone, 6-0, 200, Prosper (Texas) High
– WR Julian Carter, 6-2, 175, Saguaro High (Scottsdale, Ariz.)
– OL Ezra Cleveland, 6-6, 270, Bethel High (Spanaway, Wash.)
– CB Reid Harrison-Ducros, 5-11, 175, Heritage High (Colleyville, Texas)
– LB/S Desmond Williams, 6-0, 190, Centennial High (Corona, Calif.)
– LB Tyson Maeva, 6-0, 225, Cathedral Catholic High (San Diego)
– RB Damarea Crockett, 5-11, 211, Little Rock (Ark.) Christian
– TE Nick Crabtree, 6-6, 250, Huntington Beach (Calif.) High
– LB Ali'i Niumatalolo, 6-2, 225, Broadneck HS (Annapolis, Md.)
– DE Derriyon Shaw, 6-4, 225, Legacy High (Las Vegas)
– K/P Joel Velazquez, 6-1, 225, Trabuco Hills High (Mission Viejo, Calif.)
– WR Cedrick Wilson Jr., 6-3, 190, Coffeyville CC (Memphis, Tenn.)
– DT Danielson Auelua, 6-2, 285, Mesa CC (Alpine, Utah)
– DB De'Andre Pierce, 5-11, 175, Long Beach Poly HS (Palos Verdes, Calif.)
Note: Boise State is believed to have two more commitments who haven’t publicly announced their decisions.