The Boise State football program lost its quarterback recruit Wednesday — a significant blow to a class that will begin to solidify on the new early signing day Dec. 20.
Zach Wilson of Draper, Utah — who had been committed to the Broncos since June — announced on Twitter that he is reopening his recruiting. He didn’t say where he might go instead.
“Sometimes life presents opportunities that need to be considered,” he wrote. “Especially when it impacts my family, which is number ONE on my priority list.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Idaho Statesman
Just three days earlier, Wilson had posted photos of his home visit with Boise State coach Bryan Harsin, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Zak Hill, Wilson’s family and the Mountain West championship trophy. When Wilson committed in June, he said he planned to sign in December and enroll in January.
In recent months, Iowa, BYU, Minnesota and Syracuse have stepped in with scholarship offers. Wilson (6-foot-3, 200 pounds) posted a big senior season with 2,986 yards passing (24 TDs and eight INTs) and 752 yards rushing (eight TDs) in 10 games for Corner Canyon High.
The Broncos also recently lost running back commit Zidane Thomas.
The Broncos have only two scholarship quarterbacks set to return next season: starter Brett Rypien, who will be a senior, and Chase Cord, a freshman who is redshirting this year. Harsin said he prefers to have four scholarship quarterbacks, so finding another high school commit and a junior college or graduate transfer is likely.
Plan B for high school quarterbacks often hasn’t succeeded for the Broncos. The last two commitments who changed their pledge, Jalen Greene and Micah Wilson, were replaced by Alex Ogle and Jake Constantine. Both transferred from Boise State within 18 months of their arrival.
BOISE STATE FOOTBALL 2018 COMMITMENTS
▪ LB Phillip Mills, 6-3, 220, Paloma Valley High (Menifee, Calif.)
▪ LB Brandon Hawkins, 6-3, 210, Georgetown (Texas) High
▪ LB DJ Schramm, 6-1, 215, Clovis West High (Fresno, Calif.)
▪ NT Scale Igiehon, 6-2, 327, Del Valle (Texas) High
▪ DE/LB Kukea Emmsley, 6-4, 230, Kapolei (Hawaii) High
▪ NT Keeghan Freeborn, 6-1, 310, Rocky Mountain High
▪ RB Andrew VanBuren, 5-11, 196, Chaminade Prep (West Hills, Calif.)
▪ C Kekaniokoa Gonzalez 6-2, 286, Mater Dei High (Santa Ana, Calif.)
▪ TE Cole Ramseyer, 6-4, 230, Coeur d’Alene High
▪ WR John Hightower, 6-4, 185, Hinds CC (Landover, Md.)
▪ STUD Demitri Washington, 6-5, 235, Santa Fe Christian High (Solana Beach, Calif.)
▪ WR Stefan Cobbs, 6-0, 170, Fossil Ridge High (Keller, Texas)
▪ WR Billy Bowens, 6-1, 175, Redlands (Calif.) East Valley High
▪ WR Khalil Shakir, 6-0, 180, Vista Murrieta (Calif.) High
▪ OL Garrett Curran, 6-5, 285, Granite Hills High (El Cajon, Calif.)