Boise State University

Here’s what officials think caused Saturday night’s fire at Boise State

A Boise State robotics lab office caught fire Saturday, in an incident that may have been caused by a lithium battery.
A Boise State robotics lab office caught fire Saturday, in an incident that may have been caused by a lithium battery.

A fire that torched a Boise State University modular office building over the weekend may have been caused by a lithium battery, said Knute Sandahl, fire marshal.

“We are closely looking at the recharging of a lithium battery,” he said.

The fire destroyed the floor of the office building in the 1000 block of Manitou Avenue and damaged equipment within the office that’s part of BSU’s robotics lab. Sandahl didn’t have an exact estimate on the cost of the damage, saying that it’s likely in the “tens of thousands” of dollars.

Boise Fire Department got on scene around 6:30 p.m. and was able to knock down the fire within about 15 minutes.

High school students had used the robotics lab that Saturday and Sandahl said he’s “got a pretty good idea” about how and where the fire started. At this point crews are investigating the blaze as accidental, he said.

Erin Fenner: 208-377-6207, @erinfenner

  Comments