Angelo Cervantes, 21, was sentenced Friday by 3rd District Judge Juneal Kerrick for first-degree murder, second-degree kidnapping and aggravated assault in connection with the death of Jeffery Dyer. Cervantes, who pleaded guilty to the charges in May, was ordered to pay nearly $3,700 in restitution, as well as court costs and fees.
Co-defendant Raul Herrera also was scheduled for sentencing Friday, but his defense attorney, John Bujak, resigned from the state bar association last week and can no longer represent clients. His sentencing will be rescheduled, and a status conference is set for Nov. 2.
Prosecutors said Cervantes and Herrera broke into Dyer’s home on Nov. 8 and beat him to death, believing that the 46-year-old Nampa man had ripped them off in a drug deal. Dyer's body was found the next day in the trunk of his car at an Ontario strip mall, court records show.
During an interview with police, Cervantes said both he and Herrera were responsible for the attack, but Herrera killed Dyer with a collapsible baton
"Our hearts go out to the family of the victim in this senseless murder,” Canyon County Prosecutor Bryan Taylor said Friday. “Hopefully this sentence can provide some closure to his family.”