Kuna woman given probation after pleading guilty to assaulting officers

A woman who held police at bay for six hours during a standoff in January had faced up to 25 years in prison if convicted of a felony charge after allegedly firing a gun toward officers.

Instead, Robin A. Miller, 58, pleaded guilty this week to a misdemeanor charge of assault or battery on police and was placed on four years of unsupervised probation. Officially, she was sentenced to 180 days in jail, but all but two days of the sentence was suspended and Miller was credited with two days she spent in jail after she was arrested in January.

Miller agreed to a Rule 11 plea agreement arranged by Deputy Ada County Prosecutor George Gunn and defense attorney Dennis Benjamin. Under a Rule 11 agreement, the defendant knows what the punishment is before pleading guilty and she could withdraw her plea if the judge doesn’t agree to it.

“I think this is a fair resolution for both sides,” Benjamin told 4th District Magistrate Michael Oths.

Miller was fined $1,500 with $1,000 suspended and was ordered to pay $6,139 in restitution. Both amounts were paid after Monday’s hearing.

Benjamin told Oths that Miller will be moving soon to Virginia to live with a relative.

At a court hearing in April, an Ada County sheriff’s deputy said he arrived to hear a woman calling for help in the 1300 block of South Cholla Drive at about 3 a.m. Jan. 14. Deputy Matthew Able determined the voice had come from the basement of a house in the neighborhood and he was able to speak through a window to a woman later identified as Miller.

Miller refused to say why she needed help and would not come outside to speak with officers. At some point, she told Able she didn’t have to answer his questions. She told him she wanted her attorney.

Later, police tossed a phone inside the window and asked Miller to answer it so she could speak with a police negotiator. Miller said she was unable to reach the phone, Able said.

At the same hearing, Jake Durbin, a Meridian police detective, said a shot was fired from inside the residence at about 8:15 a.m. No one was struck by the shot and Durbin said Miller had not said anything before firing.

Banging heard within the house sounded like a barricade was being erected in front of a door to keep police from coming inside, Durbin said.

After the shot was fired, police brought in an armored vehicle to assist a SWAT team already at the scene. Deputies used the vehicle for cover as they evacuated residents from 12 neighboring homes.

Miller was apprehended after sending a robot inside the house to broadcast a video feed so that deputies could speak to Miller, who was in a bedroom. Swat members threw in some flash-bang devices, entered the bedroom and took Miller into custody.

Neither Miller nor any officers were hurt.