Angelo Cervantes, 22, of Nampa, pleaded guilty Thursday to charges connected to the death of 46-year-old Jeffrey Dyer on Nov. 8.
In a plea deal, Cervantes admitted to first-degree murder, second-degree kidnapping and aggravated assault, according to Canyon County spokesman Joe Decker. He had been scheduled to go to trial next week.
Cervantes previously faced five felony charges: first-degree murder, kidnapping, robbery, burglary and aggravated assault. He was accused of working with Raul Edgar Herrera, 22, of Nampa, in kidnapping Dyer, beating his father and stealing meat, drugs, electronics and a sword from their household on the 1100 block of West Dakota Avenue.
Cervantes’ next hearing as listed in online court records will be on July 28.
Herrera has a status conference planned for Monday. If his case proceeds, he is currently listed for a jury trial in July.
According to court documents, a source told Nampa police Cervantes and Herrera talked about killing Dyer because he didn’t come up with prescription medications that Herrera had paid for, and because of a perceived attitude he showed while driving past Herrera’s residence.
“Allegedly (Dyer) was killed for $700 and being disrespectful,” Deputy Canyon County Prosecutor Francis Zebari said during a court hearing in December.
Probable cause affidavits indicate the assailants believed Dyer was dead when they stuffed him into the trunk of his white 1995 Cadillac and took him to a strip-mall parking lot in Ontario. The car and Dyer's body were discovered the next day. An autopsy showed he died of blunt-force trauma, including severe head injury.
According to officers’ affidavits, Cervantes confessed to participating in the crimes but said it was Herrera who beat Dyer with a collapsible baton, delivering the fatal blows. Herrera initially denied any knowledge of Dyer or the crimes, according to the documents, and when police pressed him during questioning he complained of tightness in his chest and vomited several times.