In near-triple-digit heat, three fire crews battling a mobile home blaze Thursday in Meridian were rotated every 15-20 minutes or so, Meridian Fire Chief Mark Niemeyer said.
Under normal conditions, Niemeyer said, firefighters can work pretty hard for the better part of an hour before rotating out. But commanders cut that by more than half for the firefighters at Thursday's blaze to keep them hydrated and check their vital signs to make sure the combined heat from the sun, their gear and the fire wasn't overwhelming them, Niemeyer said.
A dog died in the fire, but no humans were injured, according to a Meridian Fire Derpartment news release. The fire destroyed the mobile home, with an estimated loss of $22,000.
The cause of the fire has been determined to be a faulty electrical appliance.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The fire was reported just before 2 p.m. in the 400 block of East Fairview Ave. It appeared to have started on the exterior of the home, and then moved to the interior. Crews were able to knock down the two-alarm fire by 2:37 p.m., the Meridian Fire Department reports.
The fire department’s burnout fund is providing assistance to the owners.
Niemeyer credited firefighters' quick response with keeping the fire from spreading to neighboring homes. In addition to the heat and fire, he said, crews had to work around a downed power line, which probably fell due to the heat from the blaze.
Boise Fire Department assisted in the response.