West Ada

Investigators: Meridian apartment fire started in flower pot

A fire Wednesday afternoon that damaged two East Washington Avenue apartments and left several others with smoke and water damage originated in a flower pot set on a first-floor patio.

Investigators with the Meridian and Boise fire departments have not yet determined how the fire started in the pot at the Washington Square Apartments, Meridian Fire Chief Mark Niemeyer said.

“Our guys are still analyzing the evidence and we’re still streaming through that,” said Niemeyer, who expects the cause to be determined by Monday.

Investigators have determined the fire was started accidentally.

One Meridian firefighter received minor injuries after a floor on a second-story apartment gave way. The firefighter, who Niemeyer did not publicly identify, has since returned to duty.

No residents were injured and a small dog was rescued from one apartment.

A Boise Fire Department crew assisted Meridian firefighters in fighting the blaze. Firefighters worked to save a treasured piece of furniture from heavy smoke damage and also retrieved jewelry and a family heirloom.

Post-fire care for residents is being provided by the Meridian Fire Department, the Meridian Local 4627 Burnout Fund, the American Red Cross, the Treasure Valley Trauma Intervention Program team and Disaster Kleen-up.

  Comments