The fire on East Ravalli Court started on an exterior wall spread up to the eaves and then went into the attic and other portions of the two-story home, also destroying an RV that was parked close to the wall, Nampa Fire Chief Phil Roberts said.
The fire appears to have been sparked by the power source for an air conditioning condenser, Roberts said late Tuesday morning, hours after the pre-dawn blaze was extinguished.
Residents of the home were awakened by smoke detectors and got out, calling the Nampa Fire Department shortly before 4:30 a.m..
When firefighters arrived, the left side of the house and the adjacent RV were fully involved, Battalion Chief Dave May said. Upstairs and downstairs storage areas were heavily damaged, along with an upstairs bedroom on that side of the house, May said. Firefighters were able to keep the damage limited to those areas, he said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The residents, who had been asleep in a different part of the house, got out safely along with their two dogs. The man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and was advised not to go back into the smoky house Tuesday morning to collect his belongings.
Watching the scene from a camp chair in front of a neighbor’s home, the man declined to give his name but said he is OK.
Many of the residents’ belongings were undamaged, May said, and the home appears to be repairable.
“It’ll take a lot of cleanup and a lot of repairs,” May said. “It will take some time to move back in.”
He said the early morning fire in the subdivision near Franklin Boulevard and Cherry Lane drives home the importance of smoke detectors.
“They had fresh batteries and everything worked,” May said. “That’s what woke them up. It would have been a different scenario if they had not had those.”