Boise & Garden City

‘There was no warning,’ now family mourns teen killed in crash

Jeff Hiscox, 19, of Boise, died in a crash Aug. 18 when the Pontiac G6 he was in was struck by a driver later charged with DUI.
Jeff Hiscox, 19, of Boise, died in a crash Aug. 18 when the Pontiac G6 he was in was struck by a driver later charged with DUI.

The family of Jeff Hiscox is reeling after the unexpected loss of a young man who was still figuring out what he wanted to do with his life.

“The boy was so loved,” said Hiscox’s grandmother, Rebecca Dupont. “It’s a real tragedy. A big one.”

Hiscox, 19, died late the night of Aug. 18 after suffering severe blunt force trauma earlier that evening in a three-vehicle accident just southeast of Nampa, on Greenhurst Road at Locust Lane.

Hiscox was a passenger in a 2006 Pontiac G6 eastbound on Greenhurst and attempting to turn left onto Locust. According to Idaho State Police, Orion Blumenfeld, 47, of Nampa, was headed west on Greenhurst; his Jeep hit the Pontiac on its passenger side, pushing it into another vehicle.

Blumenfeld was charged with misdemeanor driving under the influence and will be arraigned Sept. 1. ISP is still working to reconstruct the crash scene and more charges related to the crash could be filed, agency spokeswoman Teresa Baker said.

Hiscox’s family is attempting to process the loss of the cheeky teen who loved joking with friends and family.

“Jeff was one that was — in his mind — probably zooming in 12 different directions,” she said. “(He was) one of those kids who today he’d be doing one thing and tomorrow he’s doing another.”

Hiscox had worked with his father at Ultimate Transmission in Garden City and with construction contractors. He said he was hoping to one day become a pilot, Dupont said.

Maybe his favorite project was fixing up his ’60s Plymouth Barracuda, which he adored. When he worked on the car at his grandma’s house he would try to get her attention in silly ways, she said, revving the engine to get her to look at the progress he’d made.

“He worked on that thing and built it right up to what it is now,” she said.

The day after Hiscox died, his father, Matthew, rolled the Barracuda inside to protect it from the weather, Dupont said.

Matthew Hiscox was not ready to speak about the loss of his son Wednesday, she said.

“I don’t want anybody else to go through this,” Dupont said. “He was so young. There was no warning. Nothing. It just is very heartbreaking to think he was so helpless.”

The family isn’t planning a funeral for Hiscox. It didn’t seem to fit for the fun-loving young man.

Instead, they will host a Sept. 4 celebration of his life at one of his favorite places: Burger Time on Orchard Street. The Barons Car Club is set to be there, showing off old hot rods that Hiscox would appreciate, Dupont said.

Though the family is coping with powerful grief, Dupont said they’ve been warmed by the response from their friends, family and community.

“You can’t express the gratitude. There’s too much of it,” she said. “It’s just a way we human beings should always be to one another.”

Erin Fenner: 208-377-6207, @erinfenner