A Boise home on the 1100 block of Lee Street was contaminated by mercury Thursday, according to Boise Fire Department.
Personnel responded to a call reporting a mercury spill at a residence around 5:20 p.m. Personnel discovered high mercury levels at the entrance to the home, according to BFD.
The three adults, four children and a dog immediately vacated and were set up in temporary housing and referred for medical evaluation, according to BFD.
The contamination was contained to a single home, but Central District Health handed out information to neighbors and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is evaluating the scene to see if there was possibly further contamination, according to BFD.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Idaho Statesman
Mercury is a toxic substance that can lead to learning disabilities, nervous system damage, cardiovascular and central nervous system issues. If you suspect a mercury contamination you should report it right away, according to BFD.