Boise & Garden City

Update: Nine homes in Boise Bench neighborhood evacuated after gas leak

A woman who said she was trying to avoid a cat struck an above-ground natural gas connection with her car early Tuesday, causing a leak.

The incident took place at about 1:30 a.m. near the intersection of Franklin Road and Hilton Street, just west of South Orchard Street.

Neighbors who heard a hissing sound and who smelled the gas called the Ada County dispatch center to report the incident.

The 31-year-old Boise woman who was driving the car sufferered minor injuries and was taken to a local hospital for treatment, Boise police said. She was cited for inattentive driving.

The leak was contained at approximately 4 a.m., and neighbors who had been evacuated were allowed to return to their homes.

Crews with Intermountain Gas turned off gas to the line, and one lane of eastbound Franklin was closed to give crews room to repair the line.

  Comments