So you walked by all those boxes and baskets of eclipse glasses at local stores for weeks, but you never picked any up?
You’re not alone.
“I’ve called over 30 places and I can’t find them,” one exasperated caller told the Statesman on Friday. “Nobody has them.”
Eclipse glasses are now scarce in Boise and around the country. The Statesman checked in with Fred Meyer, Walmart, Best Buy, Boise Co-op, the Zoo Boise Gift Shop (they sold 500!) and Flying M Coffeehouse. They were all out.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Idaho Statesman
But don’t panic.
There are a few places where you can get them in these final days before the total solar eclipse on Monday.
▪ The Boise Convention & Visitors Bureau gave away 1,000 eclipse glasses Saturday at the Capital City Public Market in the morning. More glasses were expected to be delivered there at 11 a.m.
▪ Boise State University astronomy professor Brian Jackson will be giving a talk about the eclipse in the Student Union Building on campus at 7 p.m. Sunday. Free eclipse glasses will be available to those who attend, according to the university.
▪ The Village Coffee & Bistro at the Boise Spectrum, 7709 W Overland Road, gave out 200 eclipse glasses as part of a special. As of 6 p.m. Friday, they had 20 glasses left at the shop. You can get them free with purchase of 20-ounce espresso drink.
▪ On Sunday, all Dutch Bros. Coffee locations in Boise, Meridian, Nampa and Caldwell are offering free eclipse glasses with drink purchase, according to employees. They open at 5 a.m. and they have a limited supply. Good luck.
▪ Many of the large watch parties for the eclipse will hand out glasses, including Boise State University’s party on the Quad from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. They have about 2,000 glasses, which will be available to those who queue up first.
▪ The Nampa Public Library, 215 12th Ave. S., will give away 1,000 eclipse glasses at the library on Monday. Those who pick up glasses will be invited to the roof of the adjacent parking garage (bring beach/camping chairs or a blanket).