Residents of a North End home managed to get both themselves and their pets out early Tuesday as flames sprang up in their garage, said Tammy Barry, spokeswoman for the Boise Fire Department.
Crews used four engines and two trucks to respond to the fire in the 2800 block of West Sunset Avenue around 1:20 a.m.
Two adults, two children and two cats were in the home, Barry said. The fire was deemed accidental, caused by warm ashes placed in a plastic waste bin.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The flames completely destroyed the family’s garage, and the rest of the home has smoke damage, Barry said.
“They have to do rehab work before they move back in,” she said.
BFD called on the Burnout Fund and the Trauma Intervention Program to help the family at this time.
Barry also offered a caution:
“Always (dispose of ashes in) a metal trash can away from the home,” she said. “A metal trash can lid needs to be on top.”