Fourteen Idaho breweries hauled in a total of 29 medals over the weekend at the North American Beer Awards in Idaho Falls.
With four medals, Grand Teton Brewing of Victor earned the most hardware of any Idaho brewery. Sockeye Brewing, which has been tearing up NABA in recent years, finally came back to earth with three medals after racking up seven in 2016. Gem State breweries that won gold include Grand Teton, Boise Brewing, Mother Earth, Payette, Salmon River, Idaho Brewing, Laughing Dog, MickDuff’s and Wallace.
Held in conjunction with the Mountain Brewers Beer Fest at Sandy Downs Race Track in Idaho Falls, NABA is a well-respected event. Judges go through blind tasting sessions and match beers to style guidelines. In other words, they don’t necessarily choose which beer they like the most — they choose the one that matches the style guide the closest.
Below is the list of Idaho winners. And here’s the full list of NABA winners.
▪ 10 Barrel Brewing, Boise: Night Ryed’r, bronze, Robust Porter; Puff Puff Pass, bronze, German-Style Rauchbier, Smoke-Flavored Beer.
▪ Boise Brewing: Black Cliffs, gold, American-Style Stout; Winnowing Wheat, bronze, Bavarian-Style Hefeweizen.
▪ Grand Teton Brewing, Victor: American Sour 2015, gold, American-Style Wild or Sour Ale; Bitch Creek, silver, American-Style Brown Ale; Teton Amber, bronze, American-Style Amber Lager; Black Cauldron, bronze, Imperial Stout.
▪ Idaho Brewing, Idaho Falls: Oktoberfest, gold, Marzen-Oktoberfest Lager; What a Pear, silver, Fruit Beers; Maibock, bronze, Helles Bock/Maibock.
▪ Laughing Dog Brewing, Ponderay: Imperial Pecan Porter, gold, Specialty and Experimental Beers.
▪ MickDuff’s Brewing Co., Sandpoint: Se Habla Cerveza, gold, Vienna Lager.
▪ Mother Earth Brew Co., Nampa: Fantasy Island, gold, Vegetable or Field Beers.
▪ Payette Brewing Co., Boise: 12 Gauge Mexican Chocolate Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, gold, Chocolate/Cocoa Beers; Sophie’s Choice, silver, Irish-Style Red Ale.
▪ Ram Restaurant & Brewery, Boise: Oktoberfest, silver, Marzen-Oktoberfest Lager; Mellow Out Stout, bronze, American-Style Stout; Boise Brown, bronze, English-Style Brown Ale.
▪ Salmon River Brewery, McCall: Dark Villain, gold, Foreign-Style Stout; Udaho Gold, silver, Light Ale.
▪ Sawtooth Brewery, Hailey: Sunnyside Session Wheat, bronze, American-Style Wheat Ales/Dark Wheat; False Summit Amber Ale, bronze, American-Style Amber Ale.
▪ Selkirk Abbey Brewing Co., Post Falls: 12°, silver, Belgian-Style Dark Strong Ale.
▪ Sockeye Brewing, Boise: Power House Porter, silver, Brown Porter; Maibock, bronze, Traditional Bock; High Lakes Session IPA, bronze, Session Beer IPA.
▪ Wallace Brewing, Wallace: 1910 Black Lager, gold, Schwarzbier (Black Beer); Compressor SMaSH, silver, American-style Amber Lager.