It’s time to get out and explore the city’s arts and culture at Boise art galleries and other venues. Here’s a few of my picks:
▪ Chelsea Snow, owner of the local craft/art store Bricolage, 418 S. 6th St., announced in February that the store will close March 19. So, this is your last chance to celebrate First Thursday with her group of artisans and artists. Snow moved to Seattle a while ago and found it difficult to keep the business going from that distance. Although, she has nothing special planned, it will be open, and many items will be on sale.
▪ Revisit Hollywood’s Golden Age through the art of dance-movie posters with Caldwell-based collector and film producer Mike Kaplan. He will share his vintage collection, curated over his 35 years in showbiz, through a talk and slide show at 7 p.m. at Rediscovered Books, 180 N. 8th St., Boise. Kaplan also will sign copies of his coffee-table book “Gotta Dance!: The Art of the Movie Poster,” ($60), pictured.
▪ R. Grey Jewelry Gallery, 415 S 8th St., in BoDo, will host the annual Boise State University Art Metals Program Silent Auction during March. Meet some of the student artists and artist/instructor Anika Smulovitz at a First Thursday opening reception.
▪ On the music side of things, check out a concert celebrating Women’s History Month at The Record Exchange, 1105 W. Idaho St. The fabulous lineup includes, Becca and Rochelle, aka Belle, Belinda Bowler, Eilen Jewell, Leta Neustaedter, Rebecca Scott, Lisa Simpson of Finn Riggins and Mostly Muff, Christine Thomas of Sherpa, SFM-Steve Fulton Music, David Andrews Band and many others.
▪ It’s your last chance to see The Museum of Broken Relationships installation at Ming Studios, 420 S. 6th St., Boise. You’ll see 25 new Idaho items and their stories. Curators decided to swap out the local items that are mixed with those from the museum’s international collection because there were so many local donations.
5-9 p.m., unless otherwise noted, Thursday, March 3, at venues in Downtown Boise. Find more First Thursday events at DowntownBoise.org.