The Boise State football program has swiped a tight end commit from Oregon State for the second straight year.
John Bates of Lebanon, Ore., announced his commitment to Boise State late Monday night. He had committed to Oregon State in July.
“After discussing things with my parents and (Oregon State coach Gary Andersen), I have decided to decommit from Oregon State at this time and have decided to commit to Boise State University,” Bates posted on Twitter. “I would like to thank Coach Andersen and all the coaching staff at OSU for everything they have done for me along this journey and wish them all the best in their future.”
Bates could be a bit of a project with high upside. He was 6-foot-6, 210 pounds entering his senior year. He was a standout in track and field, where he won 5A state titles in the 100-meter hurdles and javelin and finished second in the triple jump last spring.
Never miss a local story.
Last year, tight end Matt Pistone flipped from Oregon State to Boise State.
2016 RECRUITING CLASS
Signed letter of intent, join this month
– OL Will Adams, 6-7, 303, Sr., Auburn (Tyrone, Ga.)
– WR Cedrick Wilson Jr., 6-3, 190, Jr., Coffeyville CC (Memphis, Tenn.)
– OL Kole Bailey, 6-5, 285, Fr., Twin Falls High
– LB Tyson Maeva, 6-0, 230, Cathedral Catholic High (San Diego)
– QB Micah Wilson, 6-3, 205, Lincoln Christian School (Tulsa, Okla.)
– DL Chase Hatada, 6-3, 260, Rocklin (Calif.) High
– CB Robert Lewis, 5-10, 170, Augustus Hawkins High (Los Angeles)
– RB Robert Mahone, 6-0, 200, Prosper (Texas) High
– WR Julian Carter, 6-2, 175, Saguaro High (Scottsdale, Ariz.)
– OL Ezra Cleveland, 6-6, 270, Bethel High (Spanaway, Wash.)
– CB Reid Harrison-Ducros, 5-11, 175, Heritage High (Colleyville, Texas)
– LB/S Desmond Williams, 6-0, 190, Centennial High (Corona, Calif.)
– RB Damarea Crockett, 5-11, 211, Little Rock (Ark.) Christian
– TE Nick Crabtree, 6-6, 250, Huntington Beach (Calif.) High
– LB Ali'i Niumatalolo, 6-2, 225, Broadneck HS (Annapolis, Md.)
– DE Derriyon Shaw, 6-4, 225, Legacy High (Las Vegas)
– K/P Joel Velazquez, 6-1, 225, Trabuco Hills High (Mission Viejo, Calif.)
– DT Danielson Auelua, 6-2, 285, Mesa CC (Alpine, Utah)
– DB De'Andre Pierce, 5-11, 175, Long Beach Poly HS (Palos Verdes, Calif.)
– TE John Bates, 6-6, 215, Lebanon (Ore.) HS
Note: Boise State is believed to have at least two more commitments who haven’t publicly announced their decisions.