He did not even play football this past fall, but Drake Beasley was still one of the most highly-touted running backs in the West.
Beasley, a 5-foot-11, 200-pounder from La Canada (Calif.) High, transferred from Loyola High this summer, but was deemed ineligible by the California Interscholastic Federation’s Southern Section, saying his move was solely athletically-motivated and that the staff had undue influence. He still was able to practice, but did not play in a game last year. Click here for an in-depth look at the ordeal.
That kept his recruiting profile a bit under the radar, but it was Boise State’s gain. Beasley committed to the Broncos on Saturday.
Never miss a local story.
As a junior, Beasley ran for 1,647 yards and 17 touchdowns at Loyola. In addition to Boise State, Beasley picked up offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Purdue and UCLA during his junior year of high school. He is ranked as the No. 5 running back in California by Scout.com.
It is the second consecutive year in which Boise State picked up a big running back commitment in late January, as the Broncos nabbed San Bernardino’s Alexander Mattison on Jan. 24 of last year. Mattison ran for 328 yards and four touchdowns as a true freshman and likely will be Boise State’s No. 1 back this fall.
Coach Bryan Harsin said earlier this month the Broncos would recruit one or possibly two running backs, with the expectation one would contribute right away. Beasley is the only known running back committed.
Here are video highlights of Beasley’s junior season:
BOISE STATE 2017 COMMITMENTS
VERBALLY COMMITTED, EXPECTED TO SIGN FEB. 1
▪ OT Mike Young, 6-6, 335, Queen Creek (Ariz.) High
▪ LB Breydon Boyd, 6-4, 215, Katy (Texas) High
▪ QB Chase Cord, 6-3, 185, Sunrise Mountain High (Peoria, Ariz.)
▪ OL Isiah Moore, 6-5, 315, Mesa CC (Tiffin, Ohio)
▪ CB Jermani Brown, 5-11, 175, Midlothian (Va.) High
▪ DB Tyreque Jones, 6-3, 190, San Gorgonio High (San Bernardino, Calif.)
▪ DB Quentin Brown, 6-2, 190, Conroe (Texas) High
▪ WR Cartrell Thomas, 5-9, 160, Lancaster (Texas) High
▪ LB/S Roman Kafentzis, 6-2, 200, Mater Dei HS (Santa Ana, Calif.)
▪ DE Aisa Kelemete, 6-4, 225, Highland HS (Pocatello)
▪ DB Kekaula Kaniho, 6-0, 170, Kahuku (Hawaii) High
▪ LB Ezekiel Noa, 6-0, 230, Helix HS (La Mesa, Calif.)
▪ RB Drake Beasley, 5-11, 200, La Canada HS (La Canada Flintridge, Calif.)
SIGNED, ENROLLED AND ON CAMPUS
▪ S Mike Young, 6-0, 205, Dodge City CC (Raytown, Mo.)
▪ QB Rathen Ricedorff, 6-1, 200, Mesa CC (Show Low, Ariz.)
▪ OL John Ojukwu, 6-6, 285, Boise High
▪ DB Marques Evans, 6-1, 180, Newbury Park (Calif.) High
▪ OL Zach Troughton, 6-5, 310, Butte College (Maxwell, Calif.)