The Boise State football team is building a strong Polynesian pipeline, bolstered by the commitment of Helix High (La Mesa, Calif.) linebacker Ezekiel Noa.
Coach Bryan Harsin tweeted “Go Broncos” late Tuesday night, his code for picking up another commit. On Wednesday morning, Helix’s football account confirmed Noa was the new pickup.
Boise State’s last three commitments have Polynesian heritage, with Noa, Hawaii defensive back Kekaula Kaniho and Highland High’s Aisa Kelemete. The Broncos also have defensive linemen David Moa, Emmanuel Fesili, Daniel Auelua, Sonatane Lui, linebacker Tyson Maeva and safety Kekoa Nawahine already on the roster.
Never miss a local story.
On defense, Noa (6-foot, 230 pounds) racked up 92 tackles, 9.5 sacks and an interception as a senior, while also adding 640 rushing yards and 152 receiving yards, scoring nine total touchdowns on offense. Other offers for Noa, according to Scout.com, were Colorado, Colorado State, Nevada, San Diego State and Wisconsin. As a junior, the San Diego Union-Tribune called him the “best player on the No. 1 team.”
“I tell everyone that’s come in here that Zeke is the exact same reason why Boise State wins Fiesta Bowls, he’s a true blue football player, probably as perfect as a kid as you can get socially, school, football-wise, work ethic-wise,” Helix coach Robbie Owens said on KTIK 93.1 FM.
Owens, who was born in Shoshone and was a walk-on at Boise State in 1991 and 1992, said Noa had surgery Wednesday on a right knee injury he suffered late in the season. Helix also produced former Boise State cornerback Jamar Taylor, now with the Cleveland Browns.
Here are Noa’s senior highlights:
BOISE STATE 2017 COMMITMENTS
VERBALLY COMMITTED, EXPECTED TO SIGN FEB. 1
▪ OT Mike Young, 6-6, 335, Queen Creek (Ariz.) High
▪ LB Breydon Boyd, 6-4, 215, Katy (Texas) High
▪ QB Chase Cord, 6-3, 185, Sunrise Mountain High (Peoria, Ariz.)
▪ OL Isiah Moore, 6-5, 315, Mesa CC (Tiffin, Ohio)
▪ CB Jermani Brown, 5-11, 175, Midlothian (Va.) High
▪ DB Tyreque Jones, 6-3, 190, San Gorgonio High (San Bernardino, Calif.)
▪ DB Quentin Brown, 6-2, 190, Conroe (Texas) High
▪ WR Cartrell Thomas, 5-9, 160, Lancaster (Texas) High
▪ LB/S Roman Kafentzis, 6-2, 200, Mater Dei HS (Santa Ana, Calif.)
▪ DE Aisa Kelemete, 6-4, 225, Highland HS (Pocatello)
▪ DB Kekaula Kaniho, 6-0, 170, Kahuku (Hawaii) High
▪ LB Ezekiel Noa, 6-0, 230, Helix HS (La Mesa, Calif.)
SIGNED, ENROLLED AND ON CAMPUS
▪ S Mike Young, 6-0, 205, Dodge City CC (Raytown, Mo.)
▪ QB Rathen Ricedorff, 6-1, 200, Mesa CC (Show Low, Ariz.)
▪ OL John Ojukwu, 6-6, 285, Boise High
▪ DB Marques Evans, 6-1, 180, Newbury Park (Calif.) High
▪ OL Zach Troughton, 6-5, 310, Butte College (Maxwell, Calif.)