Many of Boise State's 2016 football commitments began their high school seasons this past weekend, and none had more of an incredible start than wide receiver Derrion Grim.
Grim (6-foot, 194 pounds), out of McNair High in Stockton, Calif., ran back the opening kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown Friday in a 74-26 thrashing of Calaveras. And that was just the beginning. Grim had 10 catches for 238 yards, hauling in six touchdown passes. He reportedly was offered by Nebraska on Saturday. Check out some highlights of his big night below:
Here's a look at how the rest of the class fared:
Never miss a local story.
– QB Micah Wilson, 6-3, 205, Lincoln Christian School (Tulsa, Okla.)
In a 21-6 win over Cascia Hall, Wilson completed 6-of-10 passes for 94 yards with two TDs and added a 69-yard touchdown run.
– DL Chase Hatada, 6-3, 260, Rocklin (Calif.) High
Hatada and Rocklin opened their season with a 63-14 rout of Pleasant Grove on Friday. Complete stats were not available.
– CB Robert Lewis, 5-10, 170, Augustus Hawkins High (Los Angeles)
Lewis had three tackles and a 12-yard kickoff return Friday in a 46-0 shutout of West Park.
– OL Kole Bailey, 6-5, 285, Twin Falls High
Bailey's Bruins won an exciting 38-32 contest over Pocatello on Friday, with his running back giving the line some praise.
– RB Robert Mahone, 6-0, 200, Prosper (Texas) High
Not to be outdone by Grim, Mahone had himself a big night to kick off the season. The big back had 12 carries for 155 yards, scoring three TDs (including a 91-yarder) in a 35-10 win over Birdville.
– WR Julian Carter, 6-2, 175, Saguaro High (Scottsdale, Ariz.)
Carter has yet to play this season for 1-1 Saguaro, as he is dealing with eligibility issues after transferring schools this year. He will have a hearing Tuesday to determine when he play.
– OL Ezra Cleveland, 6-6, 270, Bethel High (Spanaway, Wash.)
Cleveland and Bethel High open the season Thursday at Kentridge.
– CB Reid Harrison-Ducros, 5-11, 175, Heritage High (Colleyville, Texas)
Harrison-Ducros and Heritage dropped their season opener against Abilene 35-21. Harrison-Ducros had a 55-yard reception in the loss.
– LB/S Desmond Williams, 6-0, 190, Centennial High (Corona, Calif.)
Centennial, ranked one of the top 10 teams in the nation by MaxPreps, opened the season Friday with a 49-13 win over Salt Lake City's East High. Complete stats were not available.
– LB Tyson Maeva, 6-0, 225, Cathedral Catholic High (San Diego)
Cathedral Catholic lost 40-14 in its opener Friday to Santa Margarita, which boasts Stanford QB commit KJ Costello. Complete stats weren't available, but his coach had some nice things to say in this preview, saying "his work ethic is out of this world." Also, check out this profile on Maeva.
– RB Damarea Crockett, 5-11, 212, Little Rock (Ark.) Christian High
Crockett's first game of the season is Friday against Fountain Lake.
– TE Nick Crabtree, 6-6, 250, Huntington Beach (Calif.) High
The Huntington Beach starters called it a night early, winning 57-14 on Friday against West Adams. Crabtree had one catch, an 18-yard touchdown.