Idaho Fish and Game invites veteran and novice anglers of all ages, residents and nonresidents alike, to celebrate the day by fishing anywhere in Idaho without a license.Though fishing license requirements are suspended for the day, all other rules, such as limits and tackle restrictions, remain in effect.
Free fishing day includes salmon. Anglers don’t need a license or salmon permit, but they are still subject to all bag and possession limits.
Free fishing day provides a great opportunity for novices to try fishing, and parents are encouraged to bring their children. Lack of fishing gear is no obstacle to participate. At special locations around the state, loaner tackle will be available, and fishing experts will help novices learn about fishing. To increase the odds of catching a fish, all these locations will be stocked with rainbow trout prior to free fishing day.
Here’s a list of events throughout the state:
Never miss a local story.
For details, call 208-634-8137 in McCall or 208-465-8465 in Nampa.
· Payette, Atwood Pond - Kids' Conservation Day - Registration begins at 8:00 am - Hosted by Safari Club International, Howard's Tackle Shop and Idaho Fish and Game.
· Council, Ol' McDonald Pond - 9:00am - 1:00 pm - Hosted by Idaho Fish and Game and the Adams County Sheriff's Office.
· Emmett, Ed's Pond - 9:00 am - Noon - Hosted by the Gem County Recreation District, True Value Hardware, Boise National Forest (Emmett Ranger District) Wild Willy's and Idaho Fish and Game.
· Cascade, Fischer Pond - 10:00am - 2:00 pm - Hosted by Lake Cascade State Park, Wal-Mart, and local sponsors.
· New Meadows, Kimberland Meadows Pond 0 9:00am - 2:00 pm - Hosted by Idaho Fish and Game and the Adams County Sheriff's Office.
· Nampa, Lake Lowell - 10:00am - 3:00 pm - Gotts Point at the west end of Greenhurst Avenue - Hosted by Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge, Friends of Deer Flat Wildlife Refuge, AAA Bait, Cabela's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Howard's Tackle Shoppe, Jim's Pawn Shop, and Sportsman's Warehouse.
· Nampa, Wilson Springs Ponds - 8:00 am - Noon - Hosted by Idaho Fish and Game, Nampa Parks and Recreation, and Pepsi
· Mountain Home, Legacy Park Pond - 9:00 am - 1:00 pm - Hosted by the Idaho Fish and Game Reservists, Mt. Home Parks and Recreation and Mt. Home Air Force Base.
· Lowman, 10-mile Ponds - 9:00 am - 2:00 pm - Hosted by the Boise National Forest (Lowman Ranger District), Sourdough Lodge and Idaho Fish and Game.
· Boise, McDevitt Pond - 8:00 am - Noon - Hosted by the Boise Police Association and Idaho Fish and Game.
· Boise, Parkcenter Pond - 9:00am - 2:00 pm - Hosted by the Southwest Idaho Resource Conservation and Development Council, Micron Technology, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Hillcrest Floral, Ada County Parks and Waterways, Boise Parks and Recreation, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Forest Service and Idaho Fish and Game.
· Horseshoe Bend, Mill Pond - 10:00 am-4:00 pm - Hosted by Valley View Chevron and Idaho Fish and Game.
· McCall, Northwest Passage Pond - 9:00 am - Noon - Hosted by Idaho Fish and Game.
· Idaho City, Visitor Center Pond - 9:00 am - Noon - Hosted by the Boise National Forest (Idaho City Ranger District) and Idaho Fish and Game.
Magic Valley Region
For information, call 208-324-4359.
· Hagerman, State Fish Hatchery – 9 am - 3 pm. Hotdogs and drinks will be served, and door prizes, a fish cooking station, and fish printing art work, are just a few of the activities offered.
· Bellevue, Gavers Lagoon, Hayspur Fish Hatchery - 8 am - noon.
· Murtaugh, Rocky’s Pond – 8 am - noon.
All events are from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For information, call 208-232-4703.
· Grace, Grace Fish Hatchery - for anglers 14 and younger.
· Marsh Valley, Hawkins Reservoir.
· Pocatello, Edson Fichter Pond.
· Soda Springs, Kelly Park Pond (upper pond) - for anglers 13 and younger.
Upper Snake Region
All events are from 9a.m. to 1 p.m. For information, call 208-525-7290.
· Idaho Falls, Becker Pond.
· Rexburg, Rexburg City Ponds.
· Island Park, Mill Creek Pond.
For information, call 208-756-2271.
· Salmon - Kids Creek Pond from 8 a.m. to noon. For ages 16 and under. Hosted by Forest Service, BLM, Trout Unlimited, and a number of other cooperators and sponsors.
· Challis - Blue Mountain Pond from 8 a.m. to noon.
· Stanley - Sawtooth Hatchery from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For information, call 208-769-1414.
· Coeur d'Alene, Ponderosa Springs Golf Course - 7 a.m.-11 a.m. The owners have generously agreed to close the course for that special morning for twenty-six straight years, so youngsters will have a chance to catch their first fish.
· Bonners Ferry, Snow Creek Pond - 9 a.m. - noon Co-sponsored with Bonner's Ferry Lions Club.
· Calder, Calder Pond - 9 a.m. - noon Co-sponsored with US Forest Service.
· Murray, Steamboat Ponds - 9 a.m. – noon.
· Mullan, Lucky Friday Pond - 9 a.m. – noon.
· Post Falls, Post Falls Park Pond - 9 a.m. – noon.
· Priest Lake, Priest Lake Golf Course - 9 a.m. - noon Co-sponsored among Priest Lake Golf Course, Priest Lake Sportsman's Assoc., the Kalispel Tribe, and Priest Lake Employees Assoc.
· Rathdrum, Rathdrum City Park - 9 a.m. - noon Co-sponsored with Rathdrum Parks and Recreation.
· Sandpoint, Round Lake State Park - 9 a.m. – noon.
All events 9 a.m. to noon. For information, call 208-799-5010.
· Elk City, Karolyn's Pond.
· Grangeville, Wilkin's Pond.
· Headquarters, Pierce/Weippe - Deer Creek Reservoir.
· Lewiston, Mann Lake.
· Lewiston, Kiwanis Park/Levee Pond.
· Kooskia, Fenn Pond - 5 miles from Lowell on Forest Service Road 223.
· Moscow/Troy, Spring Valley Reservoir.
For more information about regional events go to F&G’s Free Fishing Day page at here.