Ada County Highway District commissioners will take up the proposed $98 million spending plan at their Aug. 26 meeting.
Property taxes represent the largest revenue source ($33.5 million), followed by state gas taxes ($27.3 million), development impact fees ($13 million) and vehicle registration fees ($9.3 million). ACHD anticipates $5.5 million in additional gas taxes for fiscal year 2016, which will be dedicated to maintenance work as required by the Idaho Legislature’s recent road tax bill.
For the seventh year, ACHD commissioners will not take the 3 percent increase in the property tax rate or the increase permitted for growth (newly improved properties) on the tax roll as allowed under state law.
“It’s true that this budget is tight but we still plan to build some important projects, including roundabouts in Boise and Kuna and much-needed improvements to Cloverdale, Five Mile and Linder roads,” Jim Hansen, ACHD president, said in a news release. “We believe this is a solid proposal but we’d certainly like to hear what the public thinks.”
ACHD will hold a public hearing on its draft budget at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the ACHD auditorium, 3775 Adams St. in Garden City. People can send written comments before the hearing to the Garden City address or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the major projects in the 2016 budget:
• 36th Street/Hill Road/Catalpa Drive: Convert the five-legged intersection into a dog-bone-shaped roundabout with curbs and sidewalks.
• Cloverdale Road from Franklin Road to Fairview Avenue: Widen to five lanes with curbs, sidewalks and bike lanes.
• Five Mile Road from Fairview Avenue to Ustick Road: Widen to five lanes with curbs, sidewalks and bike lanes.
• Executive Drive from Parkdale Avenue to President Drive: Widen to five lanes with curbs, sidewalks and bike lanes.
• Linder Road, one-quarter mile north of Chinden Boulevard: Widen to four lanes — one northbound, two southbound and a center turn lane — with curbs and sidewalks on the west side.
• Linder Avenue/Main Street/3rd Street: Build a single-lane roundabout.