Saturday, Aug. 30, is your last chance to visit the museum and historic powerhouse at the Swan Falls Power Plant this summer. The facility is open to visitors from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Saturday from Memorial Day until Labor Day.
Swan Falls dam was originally built to serve the Silver City mines, and later was instrumental in enabling farmers to pump water from the Snake River to irrigate thousands of acres in Owyhee, Ada and Canyon counties. Located on the Snake River about 20 miles south of Kuna on Swan Falls Road, the original plant began generating electricity in 1901. Changing technology and increasing demand for electricity led to three major expansions of the historic power plant and its eventual replacement by a new powerhouse built by Idaho Power in 1994.
Camping, fishing and boating are popular activities both upstream and downstream of the dam. Idaho Power is currently making major upgrades to the facilities, and many areas are closed during construction. Currently, the boat ramp above the dam is closed during renovations. The downstream boat ramp is open. Most work is being done along the reservoir, leaving areas below the dam open for recreation. However, construction schedules are subject to change, and visitors should pay close attention to posted signs.