Nampa Fire Marshal Phil Roberts said it’s likely illegal fireworks started a fire that ultimately destroyed a home near Lake Lowell early Tuesday morning.
A passerby noticed fire on the roof at a home on the 700 block of West Whisperwood Court and called it in around 1:45 a.m. A neighbor pounded on the door of the home to alert the two occupants, a husband and wife, to the fire. The occupants got out without any injuries. There were no pets in the home, Roberts said.
Crews used multiple trucks and engines to battle the fire on each side of the house. Caldwell Fire assisted as well. Fire crews went inside the home and found that the entire attic was in flames. It took about 40 minutes to put the fire out and longer to knock down all the hot spots, Roberts said.
Neighbors told crews that there had been many illegal fireworks shot off in the gated neighborhood that night. Since the fire started on the roof during the ruckus, Roberts said he thinks it’s likely fireworks were to blame.
Never miss a local story.
“That's what we're leaning toward,” he said.
Roberts said he will be checking with the county attorney to see how they will proceed in the investigation.
Crews were busy all night responding to small grass fires, and Roberts said this is another reminder that launching personal and illegal fireworks is a bad idea.
“It's kind of, in my opinion, just difficult to justify these types of fireworks when it causes this type of devastation,” he said.