No one was injured in a Nampa garage fire that spread to the roof of a house Monday afternoon, but the estimated value of the loss is in the tens of thousands of dollars, a fire official said.
The fire was reported at 1:35 p.m. Monday at 842 W. Greenhurst Road in Southwest Nampa.
A man was working in his shop inside a detached, two-car garage when a spark ignited items in the garage.
Never miss a local story.
“He attempted to put the fire out,” Nampa Fire Acting Battalion Chief Brad Perry said.
But the fire grew too quickly. Firefighters were able to save a 1990s GM pickup that was stored in a lean-to that was built onto the garage, but the rest was a total loss.
Fighters had the garage fire almost out when they noticed that it had spread to the house roof.
“There were embers coming from the garage that started the house roof on fire,” he said. “The inside was not damaged at all.”
They were able to put that out quickly enough that the damage was minimal, and it didn’t displace the residents.
Perry’s estimate to replace the shop was $30,000 or more, and the tools inside were valued at tens of thousands of dollars.