An elderly couple who were found dead inside their Nampa home Thursday appear to have succumbed to fumes from a vehicle left idling in the garage, Canyon County Coroner Vicki DeGeus-Morris said Monday.
“But I can’t prove it yet,” said DeGeus-Morris, who won’t have a definitive answer until lab results are back.
The coroner identified the couple as Mildred Thompson, 90, and Thomas Thompson, 88, who lived in the 500 block of West Cornwall Drive.
Firefighters who responded to the scene found such high levels of carbon monoxide in the residence that it had to be ventilated before police could enter. Investigators said they found no signs of foul play or suspicious circumstances.
Never miss a local story.
DeGeus-Morris said investigators believe the source of the carbon monoxide in the house was a vehicle in the garage, and the fumes permeated the house. A key was found in the vehicle’s ignition.
“It was not running. The car ran out of gas,” DeGeus-Morris said. “The key was in the ‘on’ position.”
The couple were found inside the house. DeGeus-Morris believes the car was accidentally left running, simply due to forgetfulness.
“I don’t think they knew,” she said.