The fire that displaced Alisha Schuler's family from their West Jefferson home Wednesday afternoon also severely injured their dog, and friends have established a GoFundMe page to raise money for the dog's medical bills and other expenses.
Boise firefighters were able to rescue Schuler's black lab, Guinness, but he suffered badly burned corneas and required oxygen and IV fluids, according to the fund-raiser's organizers. He is being treated at West Vet Animal Hospital.
A GoFundMe page called Fund for Guinness was set up Thursday, and by 7 p.m. Friday had raised $4,940 from 122 people.
The two-alarm fire, reported at 4:16 p.m., severely damaged the house at Jefferson and 21st streets, and the Boise Fire Department determined it was started accidentally in the kitchen. The family received assistance from the department's Burnout Fund.