A 13-year-old boy who cheated death after a fire burned almost half of his body earlier this summer is now back home with his family in Rigby.
Braxton Bigelow suffers constant pain, and he needs help showering and getting dressed, his family says. But he’s turned his attention outward.
“The other day he told me, ‘Mom, I wish I could go and find the people who are hurting in life, and take their pain away and take it for myself,’ ” Angie Bigelow said on the family’s “Blessings for Braxton” blog on Facebook.
The seventh-grader, who missed the start of the school year, was treated at the University of Utah Burn Center after the July 24 incident. For unknown reasons, a lawnmower he was working on with his dad spewed flaming gasoline onto him.
Never miss a local story.
The family announced last week that the boy would be back home in Idaho by the weekend. He’ll make trips to Utah for clinic checkups every two weeks for at least the next year, they said.
Many of the 1,300-plus supporters following Braxton’s recovery on Facebook were heartened to see a photo of the boy with the long-awaited announcement of his homecoming. He was sporting bandages on both arms, gloves on his hands, an NFL jersey — and a huge smile.
“We love you all so much and appreciate all your thoughts and prayers coming our way,” his mother told supporters Sunday. “We will keep you all posted on his journey. Can’t wait to see Braxton in another month, and his progress.”
More than $12,000 was raised for the family through an online fundraiser on YouCaring.com.
Gifts and cards can be sent or dropped off to South Fork Inn c/o Braxton Bigelow 425 Farnsworth Way Rigby, Idaho 83442.