Sixteen people, including a fire fighter, were taken to a local hospital for evaluation and treatment after a lab explosion at Boise State University on Wednesday evening.
The Boise Fire Department’s hazmat team was called to Boise State’s science education building at 5:29 p.m. to respond to a chemical exposure incident, according to Boise Fire spokeswoman Tammy Barry.
Nitric acid and isopropyl alcohol were mixed, causing a small explosion under the hood in the lab, Barry said.
Three students were placed in showers for decontamination, and eight others were evaluated by Ada County emergency medical responders, Barry said. Everyone taken to the hospital for treatment was released, the fire department tweeted.
Never miss a local story.
Boise Fire Department cleared the scene at 9:10 p.m., the department reported.