The fair opens at noon at Expo Idaho, 5610 N. Glenwood St. in Garden City.
• 1 p.m. Draft horses, The Onion Ring.
• 2 p.m. Contest: Cheezapalooza, Western Town/Demonstration.
• 2:30 p.m. The Whiz Kid (rock/country), Project Filter Stage (also at 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.).
• 4 p.m. Beef cattle, Santa Gertrudis Show.
• 6:30 p.m. Sheep show, Sheep Ring.
• 7 p.m. Rooster crowing contest, Small Animal Building.
• 7 p.m. Draft-horse log pulling contest, Small Animal Building.
Concert is included in gate admission.
• 7:30 p.m. Friday: Queensryche. Progressive heavy-metal band is known for songs such as “Eyes of a Stranger” (1988) and “Silent Lucidity” (1990). (Note: Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo canceled.)
Admission at gate: 12 and older, $9; children 6 to 11, $5; children 5 and younger, free. Seniors (62 and older), $6.
Fair hours: Noon to 11 p.m. Final day, Sunday, is noon to 9 p.m.
Statesman coupon book: One or two coupons pay for the price of the whole book. Available for $5 at Statesman booths at the fair (Center Expo and near Gate A).
Half-Price Sunday: Get half off fair admission with an Idaho Statesman coupon that can be found in the newspaper every day through Saturday. Also available at the Statesman booths at the fair.
Armed Forces Day: Servicemen and women with military ID card, VA medical card or DD-214 form get in free on Sunday, Aug. 30.