Wednesday night’s windstorm likely blew embers from a portable fire pit, igniting a Star family’s deck and spreading through their home early Thursday morning, Star Fire Chief Greg Timinsky said.
“The home is a total loss,” Timinsky said around noon Thursday after fire crews finished up at the property near Idaho 44 and Blessenger Road.
A passerby spotted the fire about 3:15 a.m., alerting emergency crews and pounding on the home’s door to alert the family, Timinsky said. Everyone got out safely, he said.
When firefighters arrived they found the back of the home completely engulfed in flames and focused on keeping those flames from spreading to nearby trees and other structures.
Never miss a local story.
Timinsky said the firefighting effort would have been much easier if there was a hydrant nearby.
“Water supply was not our friend last night,” the fire chief said, noting that five water tenders trucked additional water to the scene as fast as possible, but the fire quickly spread through the house. In addition to the Star fire district, firefighters from Middleton, Eagle, Caldwell, Sand Hollow, Meridian and Boise helped battle the blaze.