An Idaho boy who suffered life-threatening burns in late July is having good days and “horribly bad days” — and he’s finding comfort in the many cards that well wishers have sent him at the University of Utah Burn Center, according to his family’s Facebook page.
Braxton Bigelow, now 13, was burned on July 24, when he and his dad were trying to get a riding lawnmower started at their house in Rigby. The boy was hit by a flaming stream of gasoline that shot out of the machine, his aunt told the Idaho Statesman.
An online fundraiser, Blessings for Braxton on YouCaring.com, has raised $12,286 to help his family with medical and other expenses, eclipsing the goal of $10,000. The family could not be reached for comment.
Never miss a local story.
On Wednesday, his mother shared Braxton’s first day of school photo from 6th grade last year and said she was grateful that Braxton would be coming home and re-joining his peers in 7th grade.
“Braxton is going to have a new ‘normal’ and that’s okay, because once he gets to come home, and start his new normal, I will love every minute of it,” she wrote. “He’s still battling in the hospital, some good days and some horribly bad days, but he’s fighting.”
Braxton has endured numerous surgeries, including a big one last Friday. The surgery went well, and all of the boy’s wounds are now covered with his own skin, his father reported.
Want to send Braxton and/or his family a card or letter? Here’s the address to mail it to: University Guest House, Josiah Bigelow, 110 South Fort Douglas Blvd, Salt Lake City, UT 84113.